Here are some ways a Translation Memory (TM) can be useful:
- Obvious: for translating repetitions and previously translated segments using a CAT tool (or TEnT).
- Look up terms and phrases using the concordance function in a CAT-tool or in a concordance tool such as Xbench ApSIC or Olifant.
- Pre-translating a text containing previously translated segments in the TM or using the pre-translate function in combination with a monolingual TM to high-light internal repetitions in a text.
- Use bilingual term extraction to create a bilingual term list based on a TM.
- In translations studies use a TM for practising translation.
- In contrastive research, you can use a bilingual or multilingual TM to compare linguistic phenomena in two or more languages.
- Use a TM to train Statistical Machine Translation (SMT).